Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Downloading Music--Legally?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member lpd05's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Downloading Music--Legally?

    I used to enjoy downloading music, but the last time I was on limewire, and some warning came up about responsiblity and such, I have been afraid to "steal" music. Does anyone else feel the same way? Is there any other websites to get free music without fear of going to jail!
    Clintwood Greenwave
    Back-to-Back Region D Champions
    2008 LPD Champions

    "State in '08"


  2. #2
    Inactive Member one1one's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2005
    Posts
    808
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    I use limewire just about everyday, I think the chances of getting charges against you are very very slim. What did your warning say? I haven't got one, or maybe i've just not been paying attention.
    [b] "The One and Only"[/b]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    I use bearshare daily and really don't have a fear of being caught. Most of the people that are being caught are sharing music not just downloading. Just make sure you turn file sharing off and you should be okay.

  4. #4
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    The warning used to pop up with the first sites I ever saw that you could LISTEN to music on. I guess the folks running the sites put them up so they don't get slammed right off the bat. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you split hairs, I don't know if it is legal to cut and paste , without linking back to whatever it belongs to. Copyrights are loooong and recording companies are large beasts with lots of stockholders.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    You can go to one of these sites to download PeerGuardian. It is supposed to block out music industries IPs from getting info on you. http://methlabs.org/methlabs.htm
    or
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/p2...erguardian.cfm

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    We just go the legal route - iTunes.
    $0.99 a song and nothing to worry about (and fewer virus concerns).

    You'd be surprised what the odds are of getting caught. A couple of years ago a VT student was sued by the music industry. He had downloaded 7 songs.

    A mother is in court now and has spent $26,000 in her defense so far. She claims she never downloaded anything, but the music industry supposedly found that she had (could have been a kid or kid's friend but they don't care).
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    I'll download till the day I die. Heck, why should I buy another CD when I can get it for free? Common sense. I haven't bought a CD in at least 4 years.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    I use to use Audiogalaxy like music was going to be outlawed. But now with all of the threats of lawsuits I have gone the legal rout. Walmart.com.
    Now that I'm out of the illegal downloading I can say it isn't worth it and it is wrong. It is like going to a store and shoplifting to me.
    but hey, to each their own
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Xcat22's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    Two guys I know, got raided by the FBI last year. One from Clintwood, and one from Wise. They were mainly raided for DVD downloads though.
    "I may not have been the greatest president, but I've had the most fun eight years." Bill Clinton

  10. #10
    Inactive Member one1one's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2005
    Posts
    808
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Downloading Music--Legally?

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You can go to one of these sites to download PeerGuardian. It is supposed to block out music industries IPs from getting info on you. http://methlabs.org/methlabs.htm

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Does it actually work? i'll download it if it does.
    [b] "The One and Only"[/b]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •